Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Simple Things

My wife and I were talking last night about some friends of ours that are going through difficult times. I know we all have problems and issues in our lives, however despite these circumstances I have come to enjoy the simple things that God has brought into my life.

First I am thankful for my wife. She is the greatest woman in the world. My dearest friend, treasured helper, and wonderful companion. I love her so much and have learned so much from her that has truly impacted my life. Love you Sarah!







Second, I am thankful for my 3 beautiful girls that God has entrusted me with. Although they are under 17 months old, God has taught me many things through my children. Daddy loves you girls!











Finally, I am thankful for my books. This is our growing library at our home. Although I've only read less than one third of the books on the shelf, I am thankful that I have such a strong arsenal of reading material available.



Maybe this can encourage you to enjoy the simple blessings that God has given to you. Have a great day!

3 comments:

Joyful Wife said...

Matt,

I have really enjoyed reading on your blog and love your post on the simple things that God has blessed us with and of course this Auntie just loves to see pictures of your family! :)

Things have been so rough lately that it has been so hard to focus on the blessing in my life. So one day about a week ago I wrote out a "things I have to be thankful for" list and shared it with my husband and gave thanks to God. This really helped me change my outlook.


Love you!

Shannon

Randall and Rachel Beita said...

I struggle with giving thanks for the simple things. Seems like there are just so many things to be done and I get so wrapped up. Thanks for this reminder.

I love the pictues.

Anonymous said...

Matt,

There are several blogs that I enjoy reading on a regular basis. A couple of times Shannon has shown me some pictures of her beautiful neices andd nephew that she is so proud of that were on yours and Sarah's and Rachel's blog sites. Little did she know that I might start looking at your blog on my own time.

The other day I learned how to leave a comment on people's blogs so I decided I would stop by to say hello to you today.

I really like the picture of your bookshelves that are full of books.

I also enjoyed reading your words of edification on the blessing for keeping God's Law. "Where there is no vision, the people perish; but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." (Proverbs 29:18)

I am so happy to see how much you are delighting in God's Law. My prayer for you today is that you will be restless in your search for the company of great men of God who share your delight in God's Law:

"Dear Father, I see the work that you are doing in my brother, Matt - giving him a love for Your sweet Law. As You do this work in Matt will You also bring other men with this love of Your Law to come and labor beside Matt for the advancement of Your Kingdom. For the sake of Your glory, Amen."

Have you spent any time reading Chris Ortiz' blog? Go to www.chalcedon.edu and click on his blog. I'm sure that you'll enjoy some great company there.

Another word about the picture of your bookshelves: Two weeks ago I spent a few days going through all the books on the bookshelves at Robby and Shannon's house culling the books that do not need to be there. My point in telling you this is that it would be better to have one or two shelves with really great books that are Theologically sound and as historically accurate as possible and edifying for your family than to have a room full of books that are cluttered with nonsense.

When your wife and children and grandchildren, and people who visit the Matthew Dorn Library - when they pull a book off your shelf what will they read?

It was fun typing in this little comment box. I hope that you will have a nice day today.

Mrs. Maddox