Tuesday, June 3, 2008

2 Timothy 2:15









Modern Evangelism is so inundated with different ways of reaching out to those who aren’t saved. However, these different tactics many times seem to cover or hide the message of the truth. I was on my way to church the other day browsing for a station to feed my talk show buzz. I stumbled across one of these Evangelists. I have no idea whom this person was but one of his statements caught my attention. He was addressing the issue of suicide and explaining how “suicide was on the rise.” From there he spoke of how people need hope, but then he said this; “We just have to let these people know that they have greatness inside of them.” WHAT?!?!? How have Christians gotten so far from the truth in offering the hope of Jesus Christ to the lost? What has caused this change in direction? I wonder sometimes if it is good intentions mixed with bad theology. Then my next question is does that make it okay even if the theology or the message was bad? Maybe it’s the fact that the concept of grace isn’t being taught so well. I’m just confused at how telling people they have “greatness inside them” correlates with Romans 3:11, 23; 8:7 and Ephesians 2:3.

I know I’m a young 24 year old male with a Bible/Theology degree who doesn’t have everything together, but in my theological training one of my professors told me that one of the most important things a minister of the gospel (this includes everyone who professes to be a Christian) should do before they reach the lost is to get your “theological ducks in a row.” 2 Timothy 2:15 says; “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.” I’d just like to take a few minutes to dissect two important words or phrases. The word “approved” in the greek is δκιμος, which means assayed, examined, tested,tried, proved, approved. The phrase “rightly handling” comes from the greek word ρθοτομω meaning to cut straight, to divide right. I understand that the context of this verse speaks of not to “quarrel about words,” but it appears that presenting ourselves as one “approved…rightly handling the word of truth” is important. We should especially know how to handle the word of truth when it comes to proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ.

You might be thinking what’s the big deal? Maybe you’re thinking here goes the “big” solution. I don’t necessarily have a solution, but rather I offer a challenge to all everyone who professes Christ as Savior and Lord. My hopes are that this challenges someone to read the Word of God for themselves. Enough babbling just read the Word.

No comments: